Head: Prof. Dr. med. Jörg Distler
Fibrotic diseases account for up to 45% of deaths in the developed world, yet there are almost no effective anti-fibrotic therapies for clinical use.
In our research group, we aim to investigate the molecular mechanisms underlying the aberrant tissue responses in fibrotic diseases (such as systemic sclerosis/scleroderma, chronic Graft-versus-Host-disease, pulmonary fibrosis, liver cirrhosis, renal fibrosis and hypertrophic scars) and to develop novel strategies for therapeutic intervention.
Our strategy is to identify de-regulated signaling pathways in samples of human fibrotic diseases ex vivo, to characterize their regulation and function in vitro and in vivo and to evaluate their potential for therapeutic intervention in murine models. Our evaluation included novel optical imaging strategies, which we run in close cooperation with the Max-Planck Institute of the Science of Light (Immunophysics).
Promising novel therapeutic approaches are transferred from bench-to-bedside with evaluation of the novel pharmacologic approach in clinical trials in patients with fibrotic diseases, often in cooperation with pharmaceutical industry.
- (2022) Epigenetic profiling of twins identify repression of KLF4 as a novel pathomechanism in systemic sclerosis. Ann Rheum Dis. 2022;81(2): 151-152
- (2021) Case report of severe constrictive perimyocarditis and ischemic hepatitis in a Crohn's disease patient upon infliximab-induced lupus-like syndrome. Therap Adv Gastroenterol. 2021;14():
- (2021) PATIENT PREFERENCES, TRADE-OFFS AND ACCEPTABLE RISKS IN THE TREATMENT OF SYSTEMIC SCLEROSIS-ASSOCIATED INTERSTITIAL LUNG DISEASE: A STEP TOWARDS SHARED DECISION-MAKING Ann Rheum Dis. 2021;80 Suppl 1(): 681-682
- (2021) Platelet Phagocytosis via P-selectin Glycoprotein Ligand 1 and Accumulation of Microparticles in Systemic Sclerosis. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2021;():
- (2021) Cellular and molecular mechanisms in fibrosis. Exp Dermatol. 2021;30(1): 121-131
- (2021) ANTI-S100A4 MONOCLONAL ANTIBODY TREATMENT AMELIORATES SKIN FIBROSIS IN INFLAMMATORY AND NON-INFLAMMATORY PRE-CLINICAL MODELS OF SYSTEMIC SCLEROSIS Ann Rheum Dis. 2021;80 Suppl 1(): 150-150
- (2021) TGFβ promotes fibrosis by MYST1-dependent epigenetic regulation of autophagy. Nat Commun. 2021;12(1):
- (2021) The effect of nintedanib versus mycophenolate mofetil in the Fra2 mouse model of systemic sclerosis-associated interstitial lung disease Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2021;39 Suppl 131(4): S134-S141
- (2021) Reconstruction of the miR-506-Quaking axis in Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis using integrative multi-source bioinformatics. Sci Rep. 2021;11(1):
- (2021) EFFECTIVENESS AND SAFETY OF TOCILIZUMAB IN PATIENTS WITH SYSTEMIC SCLEROSIS: A PROPENSITY SCORE CONTROL MATCHED OBSERVATIONAL STUDY OF THE EUSTAR COHORT Ann Rheum Dis. 2021;80 Suppl 1(): 685-686